Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Home Sweet Home

The day we've been waiting for finally arrived!  Today was the hard-earned discharge day for Josephine Leanne.  After completing Feeding Tube 101, we were ready to head home. 
Did someone say I get to go home?

Awesome!

Josie completed one last physical therapy session where she demonstrated her remarkable neck strength by holding her wobbly little head up for several seconds.  She sure didn't use that 3 1/2 week hospital stay as an excuse to slack off in the PT department.  Aunt Leanne would call that an impressive display of "Skills and Abilities". 

Alright - I did it.  Now can I go home?

The one benefit of the extensive amount of time Josie has spent in hospitals is that it has truly allowed Travis the opportunity to hone his hospital room ransacking skills.  He likes to point out that we paid dearly for every item in that room and he's not about to let a $40 tube of diaper rash cream get tossed.  While Travis packed up everything that wasn't nailed down, I utilized my former fundraising skills to appeal to Nurse Rhonda to donate some extra Toot Sweet and syringes to Josie's cause.  What can I say?  We make a good team! 


The rest of my evening was spent holding that sweet baby and choking back tears of gratitude.  This experience has been an agonizing, miraculous, heart-breaking, life-changing, confounding, empowering, roller coaster.  The emotions are raw, the blessings are abundant, and the thankfulness is eternal;

She's vibrant

She's healthy
She's home

25 comments:

  1. Great News... So happy to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have been following Josie's progress, she is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and it's great! Going by your post below-my Nava is one day younger than Josie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting for this post! So thankful that she is home where she belongs. I had to laugh when I read about your husband's "ransacking skills". My hubby is the same way. I do believe that my husband took everything right down to the horrible scratchy hospital tissues when my son was discharged after his surgery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Josie! We knew you could do it! That crib looks so much better than the NICU cage. And way to go mom and dad for being such hardrock foundations for her even if at times it felt like you could give way. She sure is one lucky little girl to have such a super family, and well, vice versa. :) This post totally makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! so excited that she is home! i totally agree about paying for everything in the room...after our many hospital stays with addison, we have become quite adept at scavenging as well. my husband has gone as far as to ask them to refill the hand sanitizer at the door the day we got discharged because we really wanted the hospital variety at home for all of the visiting therapists and such. they just laughed at us and obliged. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! So glad to see her snoozing soundly in her OWN bed!

    (And yeah, we don't leave little hospital stuff behind either!) I'm always amazed at how MUCH stuff from home can be accumulated in a small room over such a short time. "Hospital Move out day" is always quite similar to "whole house move day."

    Enjoy home and continued healing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh happy happy day! Congrats on getting to bring her home and I hope you enjoy your first full day home today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wahoo! I love that feeling of taking your baby home after a long, scary hospital stay. Oh and I so do the same thing, take all the diapers and everything on the counter of his hospital room. I even have the nurses snag a few things for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Such great news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing to be home. So thankful for answered prayers. Welcome home Josie girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot even imagine how very happy you all must be! I felt relieved after our baby's little stay in the NICU, but y'all... Wow! Congrats on surviving what will hopefully be the most medically eventful times of Josie's life. Your strength and determination not to give up on her and her strength and desire to stay with her family is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's no sweeter feeling than seeing our babies back in their own bed after they've had to spend time in the hospital! Yeah Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! My husband does the same thing. He's like a kid in a candy store. Congratulations on coming home! That is the most wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a moment! She's so happy and beautiful. Yeah, Josie. Glad she's home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the cutest baby burrito i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome home, Heaven! We love seeing you back where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You go girl! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's beautiful.....
    As a former floor nurse, I used to make people take their scratchy boxes of kleenex home. I thought the same thing. They were paid for. So glad she's home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What great news!! I'm sure Josie enjoyed her first sleep back in her own crib!

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is adorable!! Soooo happy she is on her way to home sweet home!!!
    And can i just say that I love Aunt Leanne's notes to Josie!!!
    Sunnie in NC

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay Josie, don't know how I missed this day!! WooooHooooo!!

    ReplyDelete