Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Birthdays, Gifts, & Cards

During Mama Hop & Aunt Leanne's weekend visit, we celebrated two birthdays: Josie's 1st Birthday (March 28) and Mama Hop's she-wouldn't-be-too-happy-if-I-publicized-her-age-on-the-world-wide-web birthday (March 30). 

They were not in our house 5 minutes when Leanne ran and got Mama Hop her birthday gift that she had left hidden in a closet at my house (just in case Mama Hop decided to snoop)...
Mama Hop loved her shirt and pants!

Leanne also received a gift; not because it was her birthday but because she is so darn cute and we love her.  It is not the least bit unusual for Leanne to be showered with random gifts throughout the year.  You'd be surprised how delighted she is with a word search puzzle book or a gift set of flavored lip gloss...
She is a diva!

 Then it was time for our other little Diva to start opening her gifts. 
For weeks now, gifts have been pouring in from all of the wonderful people who love Miss Josie and we are so grateful for all of the nice things.  Everything from walking aids to riding toys, personalized books to activity tables...
bug jugs...

...to new clothes...

...maracas...

...and baby sunglasses...

However, the most unforgettable first birthday gift Josie received wasn't a gift at all.  It was a handmade birthday card filled with pencil scribbles on yellow construction paper compliments of Aunt Leanne.  I didn't think much of it until I heard Leanne read it aloud to Josie...
"Happy Birthday Adopted Down Syndrome Baby"

I'm pretty sure if I would have had a mouthful of liquid, I would have spewed it across the room. 

Here's a closer look.  It's not the neatest sample of Leanne's penmanship.  I'm not sure it's the most flattering drawing of Josie...
...although I like her knee caps and gnarly fangs...

 Here's the back.  It's a diagram of Josie's bedroom featuring her crib and closet.
I'll be interested to see Leanne's expression when June 4th rolls around and she opens her card that reads "Happy Birthday Biological Down Syndrome Adult"  :-) 

Well folks, if I've said it once, I've set it a thousand times: You never know what's coming next when Aunt Leanne is around!

4 comments:

  1. No fair! We want to see a picture of 'Mamma Hop's' pants and shirt! (Then we want to see the second picture of the 'pants and shirt' Mamma Hop exchanged them for! lol just kidding!)
    How lucky for Josie to have TWO birthday celebrations! Love how she was enjoying the RIBBON on the gift - so typical and adorable of little ones!
    Do you take suggestions? When it is Leanne's birthday, have Josie make a handprint with paint on the front of her card - and inside write something like "I'm going to need your hands to guide mine - FOREVER!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are so blessed!!! Thanks for sharing and making me smile every time I read your blog.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thoughtful cards are the best. Does Aunt Leanne know that she shares a birthday not only with me, but with Angelina Jolie? Love your blog, Josie is adorable!

    ReplyDelete