Sunday, April 10, 2011

HyVee Heartbreak

We have a nice gentleman by the name of Kevin, who is our favorite bagger at our local grocery store.  Kevin is probably about Leanne's age and he, too, has Down Syndrome.  Leanne always enjoys going to HyVee when Kevin is working and making small talk with him.  It seems as though she developed a bit of a crush...

...That's why it was crushing to learn that Kevin recently became engaged.  I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he said "I haven't seen you in awhile!  Newsflash: I'm engaged!"  (Consequently, "Newsflash" has become the new catchphrase in our house..."Newsflash: I had eggs for breakfast!"..."Newsflash: I took my car to the car wash!"..."Newsflash: Josie needs a diaper change!"...you get the idea). 

Anyway, Leanne wasn't too impressed by the newsflash.  In fact, she was downright upset.  She became even more upset when she attempted to talk to Kevin at HyVee yesterday and he was too distracted having a little conversation with himself.  You see, "Self Talk" is pretty common in individuals with Down Syndrome.  Leanne does it ALL THE TIME!  But I'll be darned if she's not the first one to impose parameters on when and where self talk is appropriate...
 

Newflash: Leanne + Kevin Jonas (the "legend") = love 4ever

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Leanne...Justin and I have watched your video MORE than a FEW times this morning. And, I must say, LC is NOT going to like the news that talking to herself is socially unacceptable. But, we'll start coaching her RIGHT away.

    Kevin has no idea the legend he has lost out on. And I don't mean that ornery sister of yours. YOU ARE LEGEND, LEANNE. I shall toast you with a drink at Starbucks this VERY afternoon and cheer you on in your romantic endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching Leanne on video, I am more in love with that gal! So precious! I am also very impressed with her conversational skills.:)
    You tell Leanne, that any man would be lucky to have a sweet young lady like her!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...Leanne is a legend : ) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry to hear about kevin! i am so far behind on blogging and reading blogs that i missed wishing josie a happy first birthday AND congratulations on expecting baby banana split :) what awesome news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, She is SUCH a big sister (reminding you that you can't be a legend). She sure knows how to put her baby sister into place.
    What a heartbreaking day! Tell her that MANY women around the world have also heard "through the grapevine" that their boyfriends found another woman! What a frustrating thing! Well, I am SURE there are WAY better fish in the sea Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Leanne! So sorry about Kevin, hoping there is a new legend in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved reading your blog for so long, and just wanted to let you know that Leanne IS a legend! I just love hearing all about her (& Josie too of course!). I am sure she will have no problem finding a much more worthy beau! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let Leanne know that we think she's a legend and there's definitely another man out there for her! I am praying that Addy is as vocal as the Legend Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leanne always makes me smile, even though it makes me sad to see her sad. My wish for her is to find someone every bit as much of a legend as Kevin Jonas, and as approachable as the other Kevin with whom to share her heart! As for the self-talk, Miss Roo is firmly planted in that camp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless her heart. I'm so sad about Leanne's rejection. Or perceived rejection.
    And your's too. Not a legend Hmmmph! Well, I will never be a legend either.
    Hopefully she'll find someone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leeanne you made me smile! Not because of your sadness over losing Kevin, but the fact that you already had eyes on the next guy... way to go!! Girl power! Hang in there, you are going to catch a legend soon you are SO beautful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you please subtitle this, like through opensubs or post a transcript? I would ADORE it if you did, as I can't hear & am truly curious about what Leanne said! I gather from the comments that she said you can't be a legend... LOL. You all already are, w/your wonderful blog. :] I am a long-time lurker but figured I should finally start commenting!

    Thanks for sharing Leanne & beautiful Josie w/us! (Looking forward to new baby too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Leanne :-( But I'm sure she will find the right man who does not talk to himself in public!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I LOVED the video!! My mom and I are more than impressed with Leanne's conversational skills! She's not only articulate, but a fast talker!! That stinks, I hope she finds a new crush soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um, OK I love Leanne. Did she say that she "got busted" for talking to herself?! She is a riot.

    ReplyDelete